Friday, June 15, 2018

Learning Management Systems

The use of Google Apps in my classroom has been incredibly helpful.  There are so many
different ways to take advantage of the many capabilities of Google, and I love exploring
new ways to use the Apps with my students.  The thing I think I appreciate the most about
Google products is how it is accessible from most devices, and it lends itself to sharing and
collaboration.  I often move between using my Ipad and MacBook and really appreciate how
seamlessly I am able to maneuver Google Apps through these, while my students can
access the same tools and materials on their Chromebooks.  The ease of Google Apps
Docs and Slides makes it very easy for my students to learn quickly, and the sharing
capabilities really increase the collaboration and learning possibilities for my students.

I do not currently use an LMS in my classroom, however, I think our classroom
website, which is a Google site, performs several of the same functions as an LMS.  I use
our classroom site to post calendars, announcements, and links to frequently used sites.
I also use it as a central location for students to find lesson materials, links to
assessments, and additional resources.  I love how Google Sites makes it simple to keep
our classroom and learning materials organized and accessible at school and at home.
While our district is moving in the direction of Canvas for those teachers who were utilizing
Blackboard, I think I would prefer to use Google Classroom as our class LMS.  I really
like how the Google products work so well together and do not create extra work for
my students or myself converting projects to different formats. Another advantage to
Google Classroom is how it may help my students stay organized, no paper means
no lost work or missing calendars. I would also love to see how I could use this tool to
improve the quality and speed of the feedback they receive from their assignments.  One
disadvantage I noticed while researching this tool was that there could be some
issues with editing assignments. It looks like once assignments are shared with
students, they are able to edit them. This could be an advantage when edited
intentionally, but may create problems if students are unfamiliar with the
program or unintentionally change something they did not mean to change.

Overall, I am looking forward to trying out an LMS with my class in the future. I think it
is a great way to encourage good communication with students and their parents,
while also increasing the organization of my students learning.  I hope this tool proves
to also be useful in providing more opportunities for more personalized learning in
my classroom. I think this could be a way to help my students learn at their own pace,
while providing a way for me to manage my students and monitor their learning.

3 comments:

  1. Angela,

    I enjoyed reading your post about LMS and brought up some advantages that I didn't think about. It would be nice to have less papers to grade and keep track of. I always dread grading that stack of papers that builds up on my desk. I am curious if I could use my LMS to access for grade cards. A majority of our grade card testing is with assessments that could be switched to online format. This would save me a ton of time! I also really love the calendar aspect of google classroom. It's a great way to keep parents updated.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree that your Google Site is used as a LMS. I believe there is a lot more you can do with Sites over Classroom, but the nice thing about Classroom is everything is set up and ready to go! I would agree that Google Classroom would be an easier transition for a teacher who was using Google Sites. Although, I am working on creating a LMS in Canvas for another course. One thing I like about Canvas is the grading tool. You can open a students assignment and it provides many annotation tools without having to open the assignment in a different location. Canvas also has a similar structure to Moodle by allowing you to create modules (units) and place all of the resources in one location. Good luck with the transition to a new LMS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela,

    Google classroom is a great LMS. I started using it last year, and it is so easy to get started with! It has the ability to send assignments to only certain students which is great for differentiating learning among the different groups in your class. After reading your post I am wondering if you could use embed code to use Google Classroom, but within a much more aesthetic web page like your website. I will have to look into that before the start of the next year.

    ReplyDelete